Dubai houses numerous industries, commercial centers, financial institutions, business centers, and other offices. In turn, resulting in an increased population in the city. The concentration of such a large population of migrants and workers in the city opens up boundless opportunities for foodstuff business. Having understood this fact, you will find numerous firms, including multinational giants, involved in foodstuff trading.
You must submit an application to the Dubai Economic Department (DED) and obtain a foodstuff trading license in Dubai to establish a business firm focussing on the subject business and commence operations. Analysis indicates that the foodstuff business hasn’t been explored to its actual potential until now. And it has areas awaiting investors, who can make a fortune through selling good quality food materials and food products.
The extensive growth potential still existing in this arena has been attracting expats to set up foodstuff trading business in Dubai. You don’t have to burden your brain thinking about strategies if you have excellent quality food products or ideas to deliver according to the client’s needs. With a gentle push, your foodstuff trading business in Dubai will flourish in no time. In addition, the professional team from Kiltons will guide and assist you to set up, commence, and strategize business operations in Dubai and other regions in the UAE.
Frequently Asked Questions on Foodstuff Trading License in Dubai
What are the documents to be submitted along with the application for foodstuff trading in Dubai?
The documents to be submitted to the DED for foodstuff trading license in Dubai are:
(a) Copies of Passport for all the stakeholders in the company
(b) Copy of the visa page of the shareholders, to confirm whether s/he is on a visit visa or resident visa
(c) Need to submit a No Objection Certificate (NOC) from the current sponsor, if the person is holding a resident visa
(d) Copy of Emirates ID for all those residents envisaging to set up foodstuff trading business
(e) Additional documents, if any, sought by the authority
I want to start a small foodstuff outlet in Dubai. Does that need a foodstuff trading license?
Yes, every business related to foodstuff and food products will necessitate a foodstuff trading license. This has been made compulsory to ensure that the firms are following the food safety guidelines.
How much will the foodstuff trading license in Dubai cost?
It will cost approximately AED 10K to 12K. However, the charges may change with time.
What is the role of the Dubai Municipality in issuing a foodstuff trading license in Dubai?
Dubai Municipality (DM) is the authorized body to provide approval for foodstuff trading in Dubai. It has laid down rules, regulations, and policies for regularizing and monitoring the trading. The regulations are amended from time to time depending on changes happening around. However, the DM doesn’t issue a license for foodstuff trading. The department of food and safety has the right to issue a license for the entities applying for the same.
Can I carry out fruits trading with the foodstuff trading license?
Yes, you can. The entities holding a foodstuff trading license can trade fruits and vegetables too. Being a large market, the business of fruits and vegetables can be highly profitable.
Rules for Foodstuff Trading Business in Dubai
Foodstuff is directly linked to human health. Therefore, the authorities are strict regarding the monitoring and inspecting food processing and manufacturing centers. The rules and policies concerning the foodstuff trading business in Dubai are depicted below.
The containers for packing the food materials, the ingredients for the preparation of food, the preservatives used and the manufacturing unit will be inspected frequently to confirm that all the quality standards are being maintained. Non-compliance with stipulated standards can result in heavy fines or cancellation of license.
- Only authorized preservatives, that are not harmful to the human body should be used
- The ingredients used must meet the quality standards
- All precautions must be observed to keep the foodstuff safe from antigens and pathogens
- Maintain a healthy and hygienic condition in the food preparation unit
- Avoid using ingredients that are beyond the expiry date
- Temperature and humidity conditions in the manufacturing plant and inside the containers in which foodstuff are packed must be maintained in such a way to prevent the growth of germs
- The food containers must have humidity and temperature monitoring methods, in case, required
DM Approval for Foodstuff Trading License in UAE
Dubai Municipality (DM) approval has to be obtained to start the foodstuff trading business in Dubai. On receipt of approval from DM only, the DED will issue the trading license for food products.
DM approval is mandatory for the following:-
- Hotels, Restaurants, Cafes, Cafeterias, and Eateries
- Bakeries and juice shops
- Food preparation departments/ sections in educational institutions
- Butcheries and meat preparation centers
- Food preparation and delivering units for cruise ships and aviation
- Catering units for celebrations and other functions
- Mobile units of food vendors
- Food deliveries at exhibitions and temporary events
- Food container and packing material manufacturing units also require DM approval It will be approved after ascertaining the health impacts of the material used and ascertaining whether the material used is authorized or not
Documents Required for Foodstuff Trading Business in Dubai
You have to submit specified documents for processing foodstuff trading license in Dubai. Nonetheless, the issuance of the said license will be solely at the discretion of the authorities only.
- Copies of Passport for all the stakeholders in the company
- Copy of the visa page of the shareholders, to confirm whether s/he is on a visit visa or resident visa
- Need to submit a No Objection Certificate (NOC) from the current sponsor, if the person is holding a resident visa
- Copy of Emirates ID for all those residents envisaging to set up foodstuff trading business
Sub Activities under Foodstuff Trading Business
The foodstuff trading license is not limited to carrying out only preparation, packing, and distribution of food products. It also covers a set of sub-activities that can be undertaken using the foodstuff trading license in UAE. Those activities are:-
- Trading of juice, carbonated drinks, and soft drinks
- Trading of sugar
- Ice trading
- Trading of spices
- Trading of legume, cereals, pulses, grams, and similar items
- Trading of packaged drinking water
- Trading of Egg
- Trading of vegetables and fruits
- Trading of Flour
- Trading of oils and ghee
Foodstuff trading will be a rewarding business, especially in a developed economy like Dubai, where people search and buy quality food products irrespective of their prices. Although there are countless firms, including international conglomerates, in the foodstuff trading in the UAE, the market is very big. For even the new players to try their hands and succeed.
Kiltons Business Setup Services can help you in setting up your business in Dubai and help you to get a foodstuff trading license quickly. Kiltons was established in 1999, even though our legacy dates back to 1948 when UAE was not formed. We have been supporting business entities, for more than two decades, to set up their firms in Dubai and other regions in the UAE. Our exclusive packages and cost-effective services will help you to succeed in your dream venture.